Wednesday, February 20, 2019


What is the month of February known for?  It is Exotic Fruit and Vegetable Month, National Condom Month, and American Heart Month.  It is also Sweet Potato Month, Barley Month, Fabulous Florida Strawberry Month and Library Lover’s Month.  There are so many items to choose from this month to share a recipe with you.  I am choosing Avocado and Banana Month and making an Avocado-Key Lime Salsa.  It is great with many things.  You can serve with fish, chicken, shrimp and other items to your liking.   Here is something different to try and enjoy!

Avocado-Key Lime Salsa

2 ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
(I usually put lemon juice on the avocados so they don’t 
    darken)
3 key limes, peeled, seeded, and chopped  
1 key lime for squeezing 
1 red onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced or finely chopped 
1 teaspoon cumin
1 red bell pepper, diced
2-3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped 
Lime
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients.
Squeeze key lime over salsa.
Refrigerate for one hour before serving.
It does not stay fresh for any length of time. Serves 4-6  



      

When traveling to Palm Island in the Windward Islands by boat, we stopped at a local restaurant.   The restaurant used this recipe with many of their dishes. I asked the waiter if he could give me a copy of the recipe.  The waiter verbally gave me the recipe and I wrote it on a napkin. Of course, there weren’t any quantity of ingredients. So I had to experiment some to get the amounts.  And I’ve also changed a few items.  I prefer red onions to white onions and I have added more cilantro. Give this recipe a try.  I think you will like the taste. 








No comments:

Post a Comment