Thursday, November 3, 2016

November 2016




The north is getting cold and maybe even a little snow.  Here is Florida we have less humidity and the temperatures are in the 60 to low 70’s.  It is delightful.  Some of the  snow birds have returned, but most are waiting until after the holidays. 


What is November known for?  We remember that November 11 is Veteran’s Day and we honor all veterans.  It is also National Piano Month, and National Novel Writing Month.  As you know, I qualify for that as I have written my novel, The Bonnie Neuk Tea Room:  Friends and Uninvited Guests (Ghosts). Also it is Banana Pudding Lovers Month and Lung Cancer Awareness Month.    


I think I’m just going to go with the November is Thanksgiving and we all make that wonderful turkey.  I know I do and then I give a lot of meat to everyone that has come to my  Orphan’s Thanksgiving dinner. (Everyone there has family in some other state and we have not family here in Florida.)


I still have lots of turkey left over after giving some away.  I cook a very large turkey.  So let’s try something from my new cookbook, Soups and Stews...Comfort by the Spoonful that has turkey in it.


I hope you enjoy the Hearty Turkey and Vegetable Stew. 


 Hearty Turkey and Vegetable Stew

2 Tablespoons butter
2 turkey breasts, skinned, boneless, and cubed
¼ cup flour
2 onions, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and ½ inch cut
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups mushrooms, cleaned and chunked
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 can corn (optional)
¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 Bay leaf
3 cups chicken broth (turkey broth if you can find it)



Toss turkey in flour.
In a soup pot, add butter and cook and simmer  turkey, until
   browned.
Remove and set aside.
Add onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, garlic, pepper, and
   simmer until tender, 5-10 minutes.
Add turkey, spices, broth and corn.
Cover, simmer and cook 1 to 1 ½ hours.
Remove bay leaf.   Serves  5-6


No comments:

Post a Comment