Wednesday, October 14, 2015



The month of October in Florida starts to cool down just a bit.  It is lovely here.  October is known for many things.  First it is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  Very important—did you have your mammogram?  It is also Class Reunion Month.  Now this one is close to my heart as I have been running my high school class reunion which was in September.  It is also National Cookbook Month and again, this is close to my heart.  I have written a cookbook, In Addition…to the Entrée—it’s about the side dishes in life.  The one that I will work with today is ‘Go Hog Wild-Eat Country Ham Month’.  I love ham and love to cook with it.  In fact, it makes wonderful Pea Soup.  So with the fall starting and the cooler weather, let’s make soup.

Split Pea Soup

1 lb  4 ozs Green Split Peas  ( don’t use the artificial ham flavor packet that is in the bag)
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, diced
½ cup chopped celery
2 cloves of garlic
2 T olive oil
1 to 1 ½ cup chopped ham
Better than Bouillon Ham flavor 2 Tablespoons
10 cups of water with the bouillon added
1 teaspoon Colander
1 teaspoon Cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a soup pot, heat 2 T olive oil and add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and chopped ham.
Stir slowly until veggies are soft.  Heat for about 30 minutes slowly.
Rinse the green split peas under running water for a few minutes or you can soak them
       for 10-15 minutes and drain.
Add the peas and stir.
Add the water (or you can use a chicken broth).  I put 4 cups of water in a measuring cup and add one
      Tablespoon ham flavored bouillon and mix.
Then I do another 4 cups and add the 1 Tablespoon ham flavored bouillon and mix.
Then I do the 2 cups added to the soup pot.
Add the spices and salt and pepper.
Cover and bring to a boil, then lower temperature and cook for an hour or so.
Let stand for 10 minutes.
Your choice.  You can leave the soup with pieces of vegetable and ham in it, or you can
   Put it in a blender and puree it.  I like it pureed, but your choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment